July 17, 2009

Love poem

This is a love poem.
This is a love poem,
not a “see how beautiful my words can sound” poem,
or a “listen to how profound I am” poem,
This is a love poem.

I’m not a subscriber to snuggly metaphors,
or saying I’m completely yours,
I won’t do it, because that would incriminate my most
intimate ideas of independence,
and sensible is a quality in which I pride myself.

I won’t tell you that your eyes are like sunshine,
and I won’t tell you I would die without you,
I would be just fine,
and in time, I would probably find someone new,
and they may or may not be like you,
so no, I don’t need you,
I don’t need to hear your “I love yous”,
you’re not some muse from which my poeticism is inspired,
I don’t need to hear the
music parading from your piano like a circus of genius,
I don’t need to see you grin at my ideas,
you say my eyes get so big you can’t resist playing along,
or telling me I’m wrong,
so you smile, and I love that smile,
(but I don’t need that smile),
and I love how you throw your arm around my neck,
when we’re walking, like I’m some safety net,
and talking to you late at night on my cell phone,
and your voice grows deeper,
and our words get slower,
and you swore the moon glowed brighter
as the distance between us grew smaller,
and you didn’t care about cars, and clothes,
and conquering fears,
and my dear, I never loved you so much than in that moment,
I would have frozen it,
but I don’t need to have you,
I don’t need to love you,
but I sure as hell want to.

1 comment:

Katie Dodds said...

I love this one. And i love you. and i would give you my credit card number, but it wouldn't get you very far.