July 18, 2009

Beautiful

Beautiful.
I love that beautiful is all relative,
I love that you could look at a work of art and say “That is really something”, and I could look at that very same piece of artistic prowess and say “Meh”,
I love that your beautiful is not my beautiful,
but that his beautiful may match her beautiful and what they’ll have will be so beautiful that they’ll think back on what they USED to think was beautiful, and say “man, what were we thinking?”

Beautiful is inclusive and exclusive at the same time,
for example, we might say colors are beautiful, but we all know what happens when you mix together every color in your paint set,
yeah, you get that murky, brown, puke-y color that most people would never define as beautiful.
Or how a triple-chocolate cake is beautiful,
but a triple-chocolate cake with some gasoline drippings added for flavor is nooooot so beautiful,

I want an internet where every time you google “beautiful” a different picture parades itself across the screen,
b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l, click, and you see a picture of a pig-tailed little girl on a summer night,
sitting on a fencepost, licking an ice cream cone that drips from her wrists to her ankles,
or click,
and it’s a grey-haired couple, hand in hand on a rose-lined path,
and it’s clear that their steps were lighter in earlier years when their knees weren’t arthritic and they’d seen fewer wars,
but it doesn’t matter, because they still have each other.
Sometimes I think we’re losing touch with what beautiful really means,
with Botox, and latex, and lift this, and plump that,
we need to return to the understanding that skin deep is
not deep enough to define the depths of beautiful,
that surgeries, and eye creams, hair implants, and hours at the gym won’t change the fundamental, rudimentary potential for beautiful that lies within each of us,
I wish I could amass all the beautiful in the whole world,
roll it together into one breathtaking ball of awesome and
air-lift it to the top of mount everest,
and there it would sit, where it would emanate equally waves of beautiful throughout every dirt, gravel, or paved street, so every last person got their fair share of beautiful every single day,
so every individual could say,
Wow,
I experienced beautiful in the most beautiful way.

4 comments:

Caleb and Angie Walder said...

I dig it! I just finished reading Little Women where Laurie's definition of "beautiful" switches from Jo to Amy. He talks about how the definition switched in his mind and he fought it, but it was just as it was supposed to be. Much like you discribe. Beauty is much like love in this way.

Anna said...

How true! Little Women is such a great book!

Anna's Mom said...

My definition of "beautiful" is my lovely daughter, Anna!

Romantic Discontent said...

I often find myself pondering why certain things are considered beautiful, and by what criteria we seek to find beauty, and whether or not beauty can be found in absolutely everything when observed at a particular angle. . .but perhaps I should stop ruminating and just enjoy that nameless and elusive enigma that we all call 'beauty'