September 02, 2009

She is every woman

She is every woman.
She slaps beauty in the face.
She is why men hunger for female skin,
She is why lovers hold each other
at night
and why they love each other
in the morning.
She is further than the east
and Her norths and souths stretch miles
beyond border lines,
Her voice slows frenzied cities,
Her hands cradle every baby sweetly
and brush hair out of frightened eyes,
She
is my Mother,
and my Sister,
and my Grandmother,
and all Her feminine grace
is outlined with scarred knees
and weathered crow’s feet,
because She has never taken
the trodden path,
never just
existed.
She keeps secrets
because She promised,
and Her promise is purposeful,
like Her,
and like every woman who breathed
before Her.

1 comment:

Bear said...

You are an amazing woman, oh and as I stated yesterday, I know I'm missing you when every single short, tie-dye wearing girl with brown hair I see makes me want to run and give her a giant bear hug.